Ethiopia should learn to settle political disputes with OLF for a greater good of the country!
1. In 1992, TPLF pushed OLF out of transition. The next 27+ years, TPLF ruled Ethiopia by keeping the Oromo and OLF at bay. The social and political discontent piled up and culminated in the historic #OromoProtests (2014-2018). And see what’s happening to TPLF at the moment!
2. In 2018, Abiy Ahmed demonized OLF and pushed them out of what would have been a political transition. Abiy used similar political techniques as TPLF in order to criminalize OLF political movement. He irredeemably lost his Oromo social base. Oromia became ungovernable, deadly conflicts became the defining feature of the region, and ultimately, Abiy defaulted on the transition. This gave birth to #AbiyMustGo movement.
3. The moral of the story: Abiy is irredeemable! Abiy Ahmed’s future and his exit isn’t going to be any different from that of TPLF. Abiy is doing exactly what TPLF did; or may be worse. He won’t escape the consequences of the the serious political conflict he is recklessly brewing.
4. Abiy believes he is building a nation by politically disciplining his detractors. But, the thing is that Abiy has no vision that unites the diverse group of peoples, nations and nationalities in the country. But little does he know he is being detested across the aisles.
5. Unless Ethiopia learns to work with and settles the perennial political disputes with the OLF, it is likely there won’t be any foreseeable path to a commonly accepted form of political homeland.